Dr. Kaufman’s Professional Accomplishments
- Kaufman J, Baumann L. “Hyperhydrosis,” in Therapeutic Uses of Botulinum Toxin, Ed. G. Cooper; Totowa, New Jersey: Humana Press, 2007, pp. 153-166.
- Kaufman J. “Laser and Light Devices” in Cosmetic Dermatology 2nd edition, 2009.
- Kaufman, J. “Cutaneous Manifestions of Nutrional Deficiency” in Geriatric Dermatology, Robert Norman ed., accepted for publication.
- Kaufman J. “Cutaneous Aging and Topical Therapies: A Review,” Expert Review in Dermatology, 2007.
- Kaufman J. “Hypertrophic scar following chemical tattoo removal”, Dermatol Surgery, Sept 2008.
- Kaufman J. “Fractional Photothermolysis for Striae.”
- Kaufman J. “Persistent Erythema after Human Collagen Injections,” Cosmetic Dermatology, 2008.
- Jacob S, Kaufman J. “Contact Dermatitis in the Elderly,” Dermatitis, Accepted for publication 2009.
- Baumann L, Kaufman J, Saghari S. “Collagen Fillers,” Dermatologic Therapy, 2006. May; 19(3):134-140.
- Monteiro E, Baumann L, Kaufman J. “Cosmetic Dermatology: Beyond the Beauty,” Cosmetic Dermatology 2006. Apr; 19(4):287-288.
- Berman B, Kaufman J. “Pilot study of the effect of postoperative imiquimod 5% cream on the recurrence rate of excised keloids,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2002. Oct; 47(4 Suppl):S209-S211.
- Kaufman J. Monthly Column in Dermatology Times, “Shedding the Light on Lasers.”
- Kaufman J. “Laser Complications.” March 2009.
- Kaufman J. “Intense Pulsed Light Devices.” May 2009.
- Kaufman J. “Bogdan Cryolipolysis.” June 2009.
- Kaufman J. “At Home Light Devices.” November 2008.
- Kaufman J, Nouri K. “Scar Therapy with Lasers.” September 2008.
- Kaufman J. “Actinic Keratoses: Treatment with Lasers and Lights.” May 2008.
- Kaufman J. “Striae: Using Lasers and Light Devices.” April, 2008.
- Kaufman J, Patel R. “The History and Future of Carbon Dioxide Lasers.” October 2007.
- Kaufman J, Goldberg D. “Reviewing Radiofrequency.” September 2007.
- Kaufman J, Chan H. “Cellulite: What can Lasers Do?” August 2007.
- Kaufman J. “Alexandrite Laser may Be Tool of Choice for Hair Removal.” May 2007.
- Kaufman J. “A Close Look at Best Use, Technique, History of the Ruby.” April 2007.
- Kaufman J. “A Diode by Any Other Name….” March 2007.
- Kaufman J, Narurkar VA. “Fractional Resurfacing.” January 2007.
- Kaufman J. “Geriatric Skin: A Clearly Unique Identity.” December 2006.
- Gainers ME, Kaufman J. “Lowdown on Lasers.” December 2006.
- Kaufman J. “Do Lasers have a Role in Wound Healing?” November 2006.
- Kaufman J, Baumann L. “New Column will Simplify Laser Choices, Use.” October 2006.
Jun. 2011 — A controlled, randomized, double blind, within-subject, multi center, prospective clinical trial (pivotal study) of TEOSYAL® PureSense Global Action vs Juvederm® Ultra XC and TEOSYAL® PureSense Deep Lines and Ultra Deep vs JUVEDERM® Ultra Plus XC in the treatment of severe to moderate facial wrinkles, such as nasolabial fold.
Feb. 2010 — A phase 2, double blind, randomized, 4-arm, controlled, multicenter study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a single dose of RT001 topical gel for the treatment of moderate to severe lateral Canthal lines in adults.
Sept. 2009 — Post marketing study to evaluate alternative treatment regimens for improvement of wrinkles, skin tone and skin texture of the face.
Sept. 2009 — A randomized evaluator blinded no-treatment controlled study of the effectiveness and safety of Restylane® in the augmentation of soft tissue fullness of the lips.
April 2008 — Open label evaluation of the efficacy of fractional resurfacing with the Fraxel re:store® laser for the treatment of facial surgical scars.
April 2008 — Single blind study to evaluate the longevity of calcium hydroxyapetite with lidocaine, versus calicium hydroxyapetite alone, for the treatment of nasolabial folds.
May 2007 — A subject- and evaluator-blinded, randomized, multi-center study to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of injection with dge injectable gel as compared to an FDA-approved dermal filler in subjects undergoing cutaneous correction of nasolabial folds. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Leslie S. Baumann, MD. Genzyme Corporation/Mentor Corporation.
December 2006 — The P.U.M.P. Study: Patients Using MICRO Properly; An Open-label, Community Based, Phase Four Study to Assess Facial Acne Improvement with Use of RETIN-A MICRO® (Tretinoin Gel) Microsphere, 0.04% or 0.1% in a Pump Dispenser. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Leslie S. Baumann, MD. Johnson & Johnson Consumer Products Worldwide.
October 2006 — Intense pulse light in the treatment of keratosis pilaris. Principal Investigator (Resident Research Project).
October 2006 — A prospective, double-blind, randomized clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of near infrared light emitting diodes (LEDs) for the treatment of localized psoriatic plaques. Principal Investigator (Resident Research Project).
July 2006 — A phase 3, multicenter, open-label extension study to assess the long-term safety of repeat administrations of Reloxin® in the treatment of glabellar lines. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Leslie S. Baumann, MD. Ipsen Ltd./Medicis Corp.
July 2006 — 5% Sodium L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate Lotion for the treatment of Acne Vulgaris: A double-blind, placebo controlled trial. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Heather Woolery-Lloyd, MD. Ikeno Clinic.
February 2006 — A single-center, prospective clinical trial using the Dornier SkinPulse S/D940 laser system for periorbital skin rejuvenation. Principal Investigator. Dornier MedTech America, Inc.
October 2005 — A phase 3, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to assess the efficacy and safety of Reloxin™ in the treatment of glabellar lines. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Leslie S. Baumann, M.D. Ipsen Ltd./Inamed Corp.
October 2005 — A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel study of the safety and efficacy of two sequential treatments with BOTOX® (Botulinum Toxin Type A) purified neurotoxin complex for primary palmar hyperhidrosis in followed by repeated open label treatments with BOTOX®. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Leslie S. Baumann, M.D. Allergan.
August 2005 — A multicenter, open-label study of the safety and efficacy of repeated treatments with BOTOX® (Botulinum Toxin Type A) purified neurotoxin complex for primary axillary hyperhidrosis in adolescents. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Leslie S. Baumann, M.D. Allergan.
1999-2001 — Phase 3 trial of Tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) in the treatment of atopic dermatitis. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Lawrence Schachner, M.D. Fujisawa.
1999-2001 — Clinical trial examining the effects of Imiquimod on the post-operative recurrence rates of keloids. Sub-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Brian Berman, M.D.
1996-1997 — Follow up study of patients with L-tryptophan and idiopathic eosinophilic fasciitis. Sub-Investigator. PI: Vincent Falanga, M.D.
Professional and Honorary Organizations
2001-present — Fellow, American Academy of Dermatology
1997-present — Member, American Medical Association
1998-present — Member, Florida Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery
Board Member 2009-present
1998-present — Member, Miami Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery
Secretary Treasurer 2007-2009
2005-present — Member, Women’s Dermatology Society
2007-2011 — Member, Women’s Health Task Force, American Academy of Dermatology
2007-present — Member American Society for Lasers in Medicine and Surgery
September 2007-present — Associate Editor, ePlasty
February 2007-present — Reviewer, Archives of Dermatology
August 2006-present — Reviewer, Dermatologic Surgery (lasers)
September 2008-present — Editorial board, Lasers Journal